Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Seven Songs

"List seven songs you are into right now. No matter what the genre, whether they have words, or even if they’re not any good, but they must be songs you’re really enjoying now, shaping your spring. Post these instructions in your blog along with your 7 songs. Then tag 7 other people to see what they’re listening to."

Paulie's tagged me so it would be rude for me not to list my seven songs. These are the last 7 songs played on my MP3 player this morning....and get ready for a shock - No Kylie!

Before you start berating me, let me explain the Kylie embargo. I'm going to see her at the o2 next month (with Paul, Manda and Young David), and in the past, before a concert, I have OD'd on Min's back catalogue prior to the concert leading to quite a major post gig comedown. Therefore this time round, I have decided to keep clear of X and David is keeping me informed of any set list changes. I'll let you know if this works (I don't think it will!)

Anyway, on with the songs!

1) Rose's Theme - Murray Gold

Given all the curfuffle that's going on in WHO at the moment, i've had the new series albums playing like mad and this one is a stunner. Listen out for that delicious key change at 46 seconds - it gives me goosebumps every time. Other faves are anything BOe related and of course the Doomsday theme sung by Chancellor Flavia!

2) The Corrs - Summer Sunshine (Fernando Garibay Remix)

This song has ALWAYS been one of my favourite Corrs tracks (plus the video is fantastic - the family literally bringing down the house!!!) but this particular remix is so perfectly poptastic, it has been on my summer compilations for the last couple of years. Plus Andrea Corr has such a wonderful voice!

3) Billie Piper - Walk of life

Now look, La Piper has recently proved herself to be a bit of a cracking actress, what with "Secret diary of a call girl" and of course, the unforgettable Rose Tyler. But previous to this, she had quite a successful music career. This was her last single from 2000 and I rediscovered it on my MP3 player earlier this week and have played it over and over again since...

4) The Beloved - Sweet Harmony

This is just such a menaingful song - If you can be distracted from the video (lots of naked female flesh, be warned) and just listen to the lyrics, they are wonderful and warm. We should all come together in sweet harmony.

5) Kim Wilde - You came (2006 version)

This song sounded sooooo good in the 80's. Then Kim decided that the music world waas no longer for her, so she become a gardener (OK then!), but then she dicsovered she was still HUGE in Germany, and relaunched her pop career in Europe. Sadly it didn't get much of a whiff on our shores, but here is the 2006 remix of "You Came", complete with new video. I don't know which version I prefer.

6) Scritti Politti - Absolute

Now, I wanted this to be Wood Beez (Pray like Aretha Franklin) since that was my first favourite Scritti song, but for some strange reason, I chose to play this one instead, which is my second favourite Scritti song. There's an excellent remix on youtube of Absolute, the link for which is here - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hbc8Raofnc8 (Just when you thought Green Garside's voice couldn't go any higher...)

7) Bette Midler, Goldie Hawn and Diane Keaton - You don't own me

Well, for all those who haven't seen First Wives Club - why not? Rent it tonight, grab a bottle of wine and invite your mates over for one of the funniest films I have EVER seen.... All I will say is look out for the scene in the window washing gondola!!!

2 comments:

Peter Pan said...

Marvellous work darling!
Particularly number 7 .... I can do the routine you know!

Mark said...

Of course I know - you've threatened to show me on several occasions!